Friday, February 5, 2010

[Life In Plastic, It's Fantastic!]

Again… I lost interest… and again I regained interest in blogging! Soooo what shall this blog be about? Me? Hahahaha.

Ok my personal life. Well it’s too complicated for words. Besides the usual non-relationship related problems, I do also have the relationship problems. Well my boyfriend, Allen Huang, has gone off to UCT and he is pretty much overwhelmed by the multitudes of options in the world of slutdom and idiosyncrasies. I on the other hand am going about my life living like an artist should – free of responsibility and a raving raunch.

On the one hand I have my best friend who has been trying to get with me for years – I do love him, really, his ditziness is adorable. Then on the other hand I have this new friend in my life that’s really good for my mental state and well he’s the root to more problems. Stuck?

Let’s press rewind (on our outdated VHS players) and move back to the 90s where everything was bright, sassy and oh so slutty!

The 90s

When I think of the 90s I am bombarded with memories, as it was the time during which I experienced my childhood. Dressing up in a neon green and pink bikini and shaking my ass to “Barbie Girl” was probably the prime of a life lacking inhibitions and insecurities.

When we were bored, out would come our digital pets or Tamagotchis (I never really managed to keep mine alive… RIP buddy) and gameboys. We would literally fawn over games like Super Mario, Sonic, Crash Bandicoot and the earlier more pixellated, larger-breasted Lara Croft. Oh it was the days when the only homework we had was to read a page or two of a silly storybook and calculate 1+3+5+7+9=25 or 8*5=40. The logic of life…

On television there would be Disney Cartoons bringing out the happiness and joy of the surreal existence with my favourites being 101 Dalmations, Animaniax, Power Rangers (I always wanted to be the pink one), Goof Troop, Pepper Ann, Marsupalami, and so so much more. MTV would be plagued with bubble pop, Eurotrash and radio-friendly tunes by boy-and girl bands alike, with N’Sync, The Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Aqua, New Kids on the Block, The Spice Girls and many more. Marilyn Manson, too, was quite the celebrity.

In terms of fashion, women would wear bright colours, especially fluorescent blue, green, yellow, purple and pink. Lycra, spandex and leather worked the scene and fashion magazines all added a dose of designer sleaze. Fashion photos became a multitude of over exposure, high contrast and bad colour bleeding, all taken with cameras of  terrible resolution.

Plenty of the rock scene had been turning towards glam rock as men would dress up in clothing reminiscent of David Bowie and Queen as glitz and over–the-top sparkles dominated life. Really, it was anti-fashion, but who can deny their raging hormones?

I had spent a lot of my time back then playing with Barbie Dolls and I would always break them (possibly due to the large amount of sexual positions they were forced into). I had grown out of them but from time to time I like to just brush Barbie’s hair or something to satisfy my nostalgia.

Right now, I’m trying to think of other memories that make the 90s so unique. Was it the Macarena (yes we all knew the dance moves to that – and still do) or was it Shaft with the cheesy latin pop tunes a la Mambo Italiano or Mucho Mambo haha.

Girl power would dominate, more so in primary schools where little first graders in their cliques would shout out “girl power!” as if to build some illusion that women are in fact stronger than men (and no, i’m not a feminist, men ARE stronger… well physically.)

Waif-thin models dominated the 90s with Tyra Banks, Naomi Campbell, Laeticia Casta and Kate Moss all somehow trying to promote a decade of anorexia and poor bone growth. Now, however, more ‘plump’ celebs like Beyonce are trying to curb that mentality. Really, I don’t think that women don’t eat to be thin, some women just don’t have large appetites.

Can anyone remember Sweet Valley? Those books were so raunchy… and yes I admit to reading them. Well I was reading SVU (Sweet Valley University) when everyone else was reading SVH (Sweet Valley High). Some sex scenes were a bit uhhh… What about collecting toys in cereal boxes? POG caps? Tops? Marbles? Or even Mortal Kombat games? :P

Oh well, this wave of nostalgia was really pleasant though some things should clearly remain in the past like Bell Bottoms, Bowl Cuts and Hypercolour Clothing. Ew.

So now I am busy living the 90s until I get bored with my uber-sexy 1998 Brian Molko haircut which clearly echoes slutty rocker meets “I’m blue da ba dee da ba die…”

Here are some raunch-filled 90s pics which are totally bright, trashy, never seen an airbrush but ‘slammin’, ya?’

Emerald green filters help to capture the raunchy moods of the 90s :P And yes my top is leaking or so Allen says haha.

A ♥ S... :)

Brian Molko!!! The 90s Barbie :)

[Via http://surayapelser.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment