Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Tubelord - Our First American Friends

What struck me about Tubelord when i first got their Feed Me A Box Of Words EP was their youthful exuberance and boyish charm. The trio from Kingston-upon-Thames didn’t take themselves too seriously, crafting titillating math pop to get your toes tapping and a smile on your face. Well a year has passed since that EP and Tubelord have just released their debut full length. I was really excited to get hold of this as mostly everything i had heard from them before struck a chord with me. But, alas, my excitement was short-lived. Our First American Friends bounds along at a satisfactory pace, but i can’t help but feel the band have played it safe, with only the old favourites Night Of Pencils and I Am Azzarad providing any real compassion and edge. Sporadically the band demonstrate what they are truly capable of, with intricate melodies and jubilant vocal harmonies, however these moments fade all too easily into the generically obscure landscape of the album.

I’ll post up the Feed Me A Box Of Words EP if anyone is interested, just holler.

No comments:

Post a Comment